Subject: Re: Met Don G in Mon nite, anyone?
From: Andrew Ludasi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:29:42 -0500

I was there last night. It was one of the best Don Giovanni's in a long time
at the MET (and elsewhere). I especially like the conductor throughout. He
let the music breath AND I heard some felicitous playing the winds,
especially the bassoons.

Iveri is really excellent, but like many sopranos lacks the low trill at the
end of "Non mi dir". Her gruppeti at the entrance of the Sextet in Act II
are also a little sketchy (these are minor techincal quibbles). Polenzani
started slightly tentatively (just the first minute of so) then was in fine
form. He is our best Mozart tenor.

Didn't anyone notice that there were far more appogiaturas (the repeats in
Or sai chi l'onore for instance) and even small cadenzas and embellishments
(Dalla sua pace and Il mio tesoro)? This is a rarity at the MET - my guess
is Levine is almost a "come scritto" conductor in this regard. I find that
this should be essential in Mozart, but is far too rarely the case.