Subject: Re: Met Don G in Mon nite, anyone?
From: Jeff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Dec 2008 00:54:58 -0500

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:07:40 -0500, Bradley Wilber
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi, all,
>
>I'm looking for reports from anyone who was at the Met Monday night to see
and hear the start of the middle run of Don Giovanni with four new cast
members and a conductor new to the Met, Lothar Koenigs.  Many thanks!

>Brad

I was there Monday and also tonight.  Koenigs was good-okay Monday and
better tonight, and especially riveting in the Don-goes-to-Hell finale.  The
tenor making his Met debut Monday for an indisposed Matthew Polenzani was
just inadequate.  I did not like his voice, so perhaps it was a blessing that he
was mostly inaudible.  Polenzani was back tonight and sounding wonderful.
Roschmann was very good as Donna Elvira, a more even portrayal than Susan
Graham earlier in the run but not as many high spots for me.  Tamar Iveri stole
the show for me as Donna Anna, a real golden age voice.  I'd love to hear her
in Verdi or Puccini (the Met seems to keep her in Mozart for now).  Schrott
still marvelous as DG, D'Archangelo a fine Leporello.  The Zerlina got a lot of
applause both nights but I found her voice too small.

On Monday, in the Epilog when Leporello gets some wine glasses out of the
prompter's box to pour the cast a drink, he returned to find that there was no
bottle of booze to be had, so they all stood around pointlessly toasting each
other with empty glasses.  Tonight the Champagne was there on cue, maybe
the reason the evening hung together better was that the prompter wasn't
putting away all the bubbly.  D'Archangelo said something to Polenzani that
cracked him up at that pouring, he had trouble keeping a straight face.

Jeff