Subject: Re: Recesionary Opera? Generous MET Patrons subsidize drawing heavily discounted seats
From: La Cieca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Dec 2008 23:15:25 -0500

REG wrote:

>....any plan for growth has to take into effect the economic
>ups and downs, and if this plan hasn't, then it's the plan that's at least
>as much of the problem as the economy

What organization in the United States has a "plan" that can live up to so
unrealistic a standard? Every day we read of publications folding, companies
filing for bankruptcy, thousands of people being laid off, families losing
their life savings and even their homes. Should they all be blamed, then,
for not having a foolproof plan in place to deal with the until recently
apparently razor-slim chance that the world economy should be plunged into a
once-in-a-century financial crisis?

It's very convenient to say, "Oh, you should *never* have planned all those
new productions for 2010 because *anyone* could guess *in 2006* that the
bottom would fall out of the economy in 2008."  Too bad Peter Gelb and the
Met's board lack your amazing gift of hindsight.

Let us recall that Joe Volpe left the Met saying that the company had "never
recovered" from 9/11. Too bad his planning was so problematic that he didn't
foresee a terrorist attack.

I have to say I just don't get why Peter Gelb seems to rub certain people so
much the wrong way, but goodness knows they are ready to blame him for
everything but the weather.

La Cieca