Subject: Re: 1949 Traviata w/ DiStefano--no Act II cabaletta?
From: MD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:28:52 -0500

It would have been most unusual for the "O mio rimorso' to have been
performed in that era, anywhere in the world.  It also is not performed in
the famous Callas/di Stefano/Giulini TRAVIATA from La Scala in the mid-50's.
 It would probably be more correct to say that it wasn't added, rather than
that it was cut.  Nor was it common for Leonora's 'Tu vedrai' to be "added"
in Act 4 of TROVATORE, or the Duke's "Possente Amor" in RIGOLETTO.

Different times.  Since it has some relevance to modern ears, it's
interesting to note that when the Met did "Fille du Regiment" back in the
40's for Pons, the tenor wasn't allowed to sing "Pour mon Ame"!!!!

In any case, back to the di Stefano TRAVIATA with Steber & Merrill, the
tenor seems not to know the role too awfully well at that point in his
career and makes a number of really awful mistakes, especially in the last
act.  So perhaps it's a blessing he wasn't required to learn "O mio rimorso"
as he had enough to deal with.  It's a perfectly luscious voice and just
right for the role, but I fear he wasn't a very disciplined performer, much
less a musician.  However what he did well, for the brief time he was in
prime, he did exceedingly well.  My jaw still drops every time I hear his
diminuendo on the high C in 'Salut Demeure'.