Subject: Re: The perennial favorite survey
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:15:40 -0800

I've greatly enjoyed other lists posted here.

For my toss at it, I'll list what I think are "10 best engineered/
produced" recordings that I think are also great performances as
recordings, even though several would never
have made it on stage.

(1) Bizet: Carmen - Price/Corelli/Freni/Merrill/VPO/Karajan (one of
Culshaw's best jobs of voice/orchestra balance in the beautiful
Sofiensaal, spectacular on JVC SACD)
(2) Debussy: Pelleas et Melisande - Von Stade/Stillwell/Van Dam/BPO/
Karajan (to my ear and on my equipment, the most successful Karajan/
EMI production)
(3) Janacek: Jenufa - Soderstrom/Randova/Ochman/Dvorsky/VPO/Mackerras
(one of the few early digital recordings to live up to the hype of
digital sound)
(4) Mozart: Nozze di Figaro - Gens/Ciofi/Kirschlager/Regazzo/
Keenlyside/Concerto Köln/Jacobs (hear it on SACD if you can,
extraordinary clarity and presence)
(5) Mozart: Die Zauberflöte -  Price/Schreier/Serra/Melbye/Moll/
Dresden/Davis (one of the most beautiful sounding digital recordings
made)
(6) Puccini: Tosca - Gheorghiu/Alagna/Raimondi/ROH/Pappano (some of
the most extraordinary bass my system has ever reproduced)
(7) Puccini: Turandot - Sutherland/Pavarotti/Caballe/Ghiaurov/LPO/
Mehta (spectacular clarity and perspectives in a beautiful big hall
acoustic, still better on LP than CD)
(8) Verdi: Simon Boccanegra - Cappuccilli/Ghiaurov/Freni/Carreras/Van
Dam/La Scala/Abbado (uncharacteristically wide range and spatial
perspectives for DGG)
(9) Verdi: Aida - Tebaldi/Bergonzi/Simionato/MacNeil/Van Mill/VPO/
Karajan (even today it takes top quality equipment to render the depth
of space presented on this, but it's worth it)
(10) Wagner: Götterdämmerung - Nilsson/WIndgassen/Frick/Ludwig/Fischer-
Dieskau/VPO/Solti (after 40 years, still a startling production
achievement)

Max