Subject: Re: Bumblebee Nabucco
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:00:26 EST

The real bee story is that When Childeric the First died in 481, he  was
buried with three hundred gold bees, but this was not discovered until his  tomb
was discovered in 1653. Childeric was of the Merovignian line. The bee  is
sometimes used as a symbol of the Merovignian royal lineage.  Ancient
Mesopotamians invented the art of bee keeping, and the bee is also a symbol  of Ancient
Mesopotamian royalty.
 Perhaps it was an unsuccessful attempt to turn the plot of  Nabucco into a
Da Vinci Code or a parody of it.
 The Germans have no qualms about turning a serious opera into a  parody as a
surprise on the audience. I can't really say, but even based on  youtube
snippets, I can't imagine it was meant to be serious.
 John Rahbeck