Subject: John Ardoin thoughts on Modl?
From: David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:52:47 -0800

I was wondering if someone could please remind me what John
Dear All,

I was wondering if someone could please remind me what John Ardoin said about Martha Modl in his book Furtwangler on Record. I read it years and years ago and the phase 'some people swear by her and some people swear at her' sticks in my mind.What did Ardion like and dislike about Modl? I know he found her more expressive than Flagstad.

I always thought it was a pity Ardion never heard the 1950 live Immolation scene from London which i suspect he would have preferred to all others.

Kind regards + thanks,

David Harbin
Nottingham UK