Subject: Singers Fees
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:10:54 -0500

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Joseph Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am a bit bothered by all this talk concerning singer's fees. ?Is it truly any of our business?
Why don't we just all post our yearly incomes and go from there.

Well, if we are US?tax payers it is our business. The Met is "tax-advantaged". It would not pay taxes on its net income - if it had any; and donations that are made to it reduce the tax libility of the donors.? This is why - on the local level - all government employee salaries are public information.The law requires this transparency for a reason - those who are compelled to pay or subsidize expenses have a right to know the amounts and the context in which?they are paid in. If we work for a private company none of that applies

?

I think it is edifying to have this information if only to compare it to the ridiculous sums earned by the performing "artists" of the sort?we see - if we are forced to - on MTV. It tells us something about our values. The bottom line is "the more we know about everything the more everything makes sense".