Subject: Re: Strauss operas
From: Scott Flatto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:32:40 -0500

I don't blame you for this, Wes, I blame this Mr. Mayer, but I don't
understand this conclusion at all. Hofmannsthal was a member of "Jung Wien",
a group of writers I would hardly consider to be "close to both the rules
and the values of the Old Regime." P. Altenberg? A. Schnitzler? They had the
values of the Old Regime? K. Kraus?
Maybe they weren't flame-throwing radicals and revolutionaries, but
something is wrong with this observation.

And which writing specifically? His famous "Jedermann" was several years
after the play-version of "Elektra." Relatively speaking, it's a modern
work.

Not sure what Mr. Mayer's thesis is, or when this book was written, but he
needs to update it.

SF in Boston