Subject: Re: In spades.....
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:50:34 -0800

Interesting suggestion...In fact I heard Svetla Vassileva just less than 2
months ago in Parma singing the title role of Verdi's Giovanna d'Arco.
As I posted here her voice sounded a bit on the shrill side and forced to me
and although it sounded quite big in Parma it's after all a very small size
house compared to the Met. Although she sang "not feeling well" she was
enthusiastically received by Parma audience. The acidic color might work
better in the Russian rep than in Verdi. Talking about acidic voices how
about Nuccia Focile? How about Inva Mula for Lisa? Her voice is quite big
and it's an attractive enough voice although I am pretty sure she does not
have this role (or any other Russian roles) in her rep.

I liked the suggestion of Martina Serafin better - about a season or two ago
she sang Marschallin in San Francisco. She's Viennese, isn't she?
Well-controlled, warm voice although I don't think her voice is as big as
Guleghina's but it's a good size voice.

I love Pique Dame - I once waited over 6+ hours in line to buy a standing
ticket to hear Domingo sing Ghermann in Vienna (Lisa was Galina Gorchakova
and Rita Gorr was the countess and young Hvorostovsky as Jeletzki. It was
also conducted by Ozawa). It was so crowded when we finally ran in and got
the spots and I felt like I was going to faint but it was a memorable
performance. Someone joked in the crowd that eventually somebody will pass
out and then we will have more space and get some air, I just wished it
wouldn't be me falling to the floor.

Of course I cannot log off without mentioning our last  Ghermann, Misha
Didyk who sang such a bittersweet "Prelestnoe  Sozdanye" and heart breaking
Brindisi in the final scene. These two along with "Kuda Kuda" and "V vashem
dome"(omg wait until you hear Beczala lead off "V vashem dome" - it sounds
like Tschaikovsky wrote that tune with Piotr Beczala's voice in mind to
showcase it) from Onegin are my favorite parts Tschaikovsky wrote for tenor
voice.

Kirsten Lee