Subject: Re: In spades.....
From: Dominic A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Dec 2008 23:40:48 -0500

Heppner sounded great during the first act tonight.  Outstanding, really.
The second act was okay, the third act is alright (as I wrote this sentence
he just cracked twice in as many phrases....that's life!).  I don't think
it's fair to say that because he's had a successful run of performances thus
far, there are no vocal troubles.  I hate to go back to this, but what
happened on that infamous Friday night simply was not the product of a cold.
 That's not what happens when you get a cold.  There is something wrong.  He
is still struggling in many parts of the score, although he is doing leaps
and bounds better than opening night.  I hope that whatever was wrong, he
pinpointed it and fixed it and that this isn't something that plagues him.

As for Lisa... two sopranos come to mind.  There is a young Bulgarian singer
named Svetla Vassileva that has made a home for herself in Italy and sings
regularly at Parma and Torino etc.  I think she sang Violetta at the Met a
few years ago in a couple of performances.  Her voice more than fills the
house and she has a great stage presence (doesn't hurt that she's
gorgeous!).  Another is Martina Serafin, who doesn't seem to come to the
States very often but also happens to have a really warm voice with a strong
middle register.  I think she sang Liza in Vienna this year or last; I've
only heard her in Italian rep, and her voice size rivals Guleghina's but she
has much more control.

Of course they are both irrelevant as for as the Met is concerned...Mattila
is singing Liza in 2010.