Hampson Master Class

Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:40:28 EST

text/plain

Did anyone else see the class yesterday, 4:30 pm to 8 p m, EST? I found it
and him fascinating. I saw 5 (I think out of 6 singers--a guy's gotta
eat!!!), ages 21-25. The major aspects I noticed was that he had to tell all of
them to stand straight (not to bend at the waist for emphasis) and to keep the
head level and not lower it. I was surprised at this necessity, for in the
bit of vocal work I did with dear Mrs. Jones of San Antonio, these two factors
were her first points of emphasis. Either their teachers have not stressed
same, or the points have not yet sunk in. Next, of course, came breath and
placement, both of which Thomas dealt with along with some degree of character
and motivation--why and what the character was singing in the first place.
Most illuminating. (Please note that I wrote the above w/o ever once using
the word "issue," an all-purpose cliche which all writers should eschew--sorry
about that).
Bill Clayton
BTW--they are all splendid voices. For what it is worth, Thomas looks and
sounds splendid after all these years.
AOL.com.