Subject: Fw: USA performances of "Medea" - a colleague needs help
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Dec 2008 04:37:50 -0800

From: Larry L. Lash [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Diensta

From: Larry L. Lash [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Dienstag, 02. Dezember 2008 05:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Stadttheater Klagenfurt 03

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

My young colleague Heiko Cullmann (currently the dramatug at Stadttheater
Klagenfurt) recently prepared the new critical edition of the original
French version of Cherubini’s “Medée” which premiered at Theater an der Wien
last season, and won a prize in Berlin for musicology.

Heiko is preparing his doctoral thesis on “Medée” – or “Medea” as we mostly
know it – and has sent me the following e-mail (translated from the German):

Dear Larry

These are the performances of Cherubini’s “Medea” in America for which I am
seeking preliminary reports, reviews, program booklets, the exact cast
listings, number of performances, and – if such things exist – photos,
videos, or other images:

*	1955 Carnegie Hall New York (American Opera Society) with Eileen
Farrell; Conductor: Arnold Gamson
*	1958 Cincinnati with Farrell; Conductor: Josef Krips
*	1958 San Francisco Opera with Farrell
*	1958 and 1959 Dallas Civic Opera with Callas
*	1968 New York (American Opera Society) with Gwyneth Jones
*	1967 Dallas Civic Opera with Magda Olivero
*	1968 Kansas City with Magda Olivero
*	1970 Hartford, Millard Auditorium with Lee Venore; Conductor: Moshe
Paranov
*	1974 New York City Opera with three different Medeas: Marisa
Galvany, Maralin Niska, Janice Yoes
*	1982 New York City Opera with Grace Bumbry
*	1997 Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center New York (Opera Quotannis)
with Phyllis Treigle; Conductor: Bart Folse

Who do you know in America who might have some materials on these
productions which I could use for my doctoral thesis?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Heiko

The best I could come up with were two programs from the NYCO production
with Maralin Niska from 1974.

If you can help Heiko, or know where to send him to get the information and
materials he needs (I suggested that he join Opera-L), please either respond
to me, or to Heiko directly at [log in to unmask]

Any suggestions you can make will be deeply appreciated by both me and
Heiko.

Many thanks!

Larry

  _____

Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger
themepack now. Download <http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119642558/direct/01/>
now.