Subject: audience expectations and Heppner
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:23:10 EST

I see nothing wrong with hating a performance and saying so, or  mentioning
what went wrong, A person even has the right to boo, though I  personally
don't. What I find unacceptable is attributing motives as  truth when one cannot
read minds. That is bearing false witness,  and can only be either a spiteful
attempt to rub salt in wounds or the  height of insensitivity. I don't believe
for one minute that he laughed all the  way to the bank, whether he deserved to
be booed or not
 The Romans found gladiator fighting perfectly acceptable, until a  monk
jumped into the ring and said in the name of God to stop this carnage. The
audience was so outraged they jumped the wall and killed him. The  ceasar  was so
appalled that he banned gladiator fights.
 While it is true that singers aren't killed, and they go on stage
willingly, I can't help but see some of that mob mentality sometimes in  some audience
members, and I think to myself that if gladiator fights were here  now that
they would be there, booing the unfortunate victim. Believe it or  not, some
singers go into the profession because they love the art  form and want to please
the audience. The high wire mentality exists because so  few can really sing
that well, and it is especially precarious for  tenors. That is why there are
so few who can really do it, and why when  they do it is a tenor's world and
why they fall the hardest.
 This is not an excuse for a bad performance. But there is a  difference
between being upset about a performance and expressing one's opinion  or
observations as opposed to getting even by telling lies about  someone's intentions
when one couldn't possibly even know.
 No matter how wonderful a singer was, when they are on the decline,  the
vultures come out and they are dismissed as has beens, and the  singers retire
and go into obscurity, but the great ones are rediscovered as  people reminisce
and they return as legends.
 John Rahbeck

In a message dated 11/24/2008 6:06:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,