Subject: Orlando 's Il trovatore
From: Clarissa Cheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:51:34 -0500

On the 18th of November I enjoyed Orlando Opera's excellent production of Il
trovatore. Orlando Opera has been around for over fifty years, and this is
their 51st season. None of these singers were familiar to me. Has anyone on
this list heard of them?

The cast as follows:

Leonora.......Turid Karlsen.
Azucena.......Eugenie Grunewald
Manrico.......Gustava Lopez Manzitti
Conte di Luna Thomas Potter
Ferrando......David Michael
Inez......... Sarah Limper
Ruiz..........Heath Rush
Gypsy.........Geoff Cox

Conductor Anton Coppola

I was most impressed by the tradional rendering, the sets for "this opera"
were far better than I have ever seen before in some major opera houses,
even at Covent Garden and the Met. No dreadful fire shining from the middle
of the stage, or hundreds of steps (Met Pavarotti and Sutherland
production). Or dark murky lighting like Covent Garden. The ramparts of
Aliaferia were impressive and were revolved to form all the different
scenes. (From New Orleans Opera) Most of the costumes from Pacific Opera
were excellent, however, I felt Azucena's costume, and the gypsies were too
pedestrian and lacked sparkle.

As for the singers, Leonora's dramatic soprano was not perfect, yet she
managed the role well with dignity. Her voice was a bit thick at times, but
she could encompass the high notes fairly well. Azucenašs mezzo was
magnificent. The Conte di Luna's voice was agile and strong, he suited the
role well. The bass had a huge impressive voice to match his size.
Manzittišs Manrico stole the show with his handsome latin looks, and virile
loud voice. He is from Argentina and rather reminded me of Jose Cura, who
was the last Manrico I heard at Covent Garden.

For me I really miss the West Coast operas. I hope that Orlandošs future
programs will be as good as this one. I hope to attend in the spring.

Cheers
Clarissa Lablache

Viva Donizetti