Subject: Bilingual Met Matters
From: Simon Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:45:17 -0500

In regard to Ms. Lorengar's first Falstaff at the Met..it was during her
debut season on 2/17/1966...the last season at the old house.
Courtesy of the Met Database.....

|Review of Raymond Ericson in The New York Times

'FALSTAFF' IS SUNG BILINGUALLY AT MET

"Mein siisser Sir John," Alice Ford sang to Falstaff in Verdi's opera at
the Metropolitan Opera
last night. The incongruity of German in an Italian opera was occasioned
by the substitution of Pilar Lorengar for the still-indisposed Elisabeth
Schwarzkopf as Mrs. Ford. Miss Lorengar, the Spanish soprano who made
her debut with the company last week, was apparently the only one around
who could take over the role. The fact that she knew it only in German
had to be accepted. Odd as it sounded, it was better than having to
forego "Falstaff," which would probably seem like the miraculous opera
it is even in Esperanto. And Miss Lorengar, handsome to behold and
thoroughly at home in the part, had a fine warm voice for her music. She
is restudying the role in Italian and hopes to be ready to sing it in
that language at the next performance. (rest of excerpt omitted here)

|The debut of the Falstaff production was two years earlier..in March of
1964.

|As far as the Aida goes, I was at that performance on January 4,
1963and my reminiscence is that besides Celeste Aida, Thomas sang at
least part of the final scene in Italian..certainly the section
beginning O Terra Addio. This is confirmed again by the review excerpt
in the Met database:

|Review of Everett Helm in the Janaury 11, 1963 issue of Musical America

Jess Thomas sang his first Radames at the Metropolitan Opera Jan. 4. He
was a last-minute replacement for Franco Corelli, whose plane flight
from Europe had been delayed. Mr. Thomas made his debut earlier in the
season as Walther in "Die Meistersinger," and had appeared as Bacchus in
the Met's new "Ariadne auf Naxos." He had sung Bacchus the night before
this "Aida," and that he agreed to sing Radames the next evening, and on
very short notice, is commendable; that he sang the role so well is
remarkable.

It was announced that, except for "Celeste Aida," Mr. Thomas would sing
in German, the language in which he is most familiar with the part.
(Most of his opera experience has been in Germany, and he had apparently
not sung "Aida" in Italian in several years. He had been scheduled for
his first Met Radames later in the season, by which time he would
undoubtedly have completely relearned the role in the original
language). In addition to "Celeste Aida," he sang the opera's [first]
lines, some of the ensembles, and the final duet in Italian.

His first scheduled Aida, btw, was two weeks later on 1/18...with
Nilsson..and on that occasion, I remember he sang completely in Italian.

The other multilingual performance (which, alas, I did not
attend..wasn't going yet was on December 5, 1961 -- Galina
Vishnevskaya's sole Madama Butterfly at the Met. Apart from Un Bel Di,
she sang the role in Russian..with the rest of the cast singing, as
usual, in Italian (Olvis, Vanni, Harvuot - Bing certainly didn't go out
of his way to give her a stellar supporting cast).