Subject: Re: Extra Suor Angelica Aria
From: Premiere Opera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:27:25 -0500

To the best of my knowledge, this piece of music has never been recorded,
and only exists on the recent broadcast from LA with Radvanovsky.

It's really not an aria per se. It doesn't have a real start or ending where
people can applaud. It is just some extra music sung when she is mixing the
potion for her poison from the flowers. She expands on the "Amici fior"
section. It is not particularly melodic, and though interesting, is not
really special in any way.

Do you know that there is also extra music during or after two parts in
Manon Lescaut. Coincidentally, Radvanovsky is the only soprano who I have
heard sing this, too, in performances in Lipzig, Germany in the Spring.
There is some extra sung music during or right after the "L'oro tirsi" and
also during the "Sola, perduta." The latter I have heard once years ago on a
Chicago Theater of the Air broadcast with the never to be forgotten Marion
Claire.

Perhaps Albert can fill us in on this "unknown" music. Or anyone else that
knows this part of Puccini much better than I do.

Best wishes,
Ed

--
www.premiereopera.com