Subject: Lorengar in Falstaff at the Met
From: Robert White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:49:00 -0500

I'll use up my 2nd post of the day by first saying I could have been more thorough
by checking the Met's invaluable database first.  Lorengar did 4 Alices that first
season, first with Geraint Evans and then with Tito Gobbi.  The last performance
also served as Thomas Stewart's Met debut.    The Met database reprints Raymond
Ericson's NYTImes review of her first assumption (and a very positive one for
Lorengar and the rest of the cast); the database's only failing is what % of Italian
she sang in each performance.

I hardly knew Lorengar before seeing her in the Don Giovanni and Falstaff, but she
quickly became one of my favorites.  Rosenstock's conducting was NOT a patch on
Bernstein, but no worse than Martin Rich's had been the previous season when the Met
took the opera on tour.  What a great experience to watch the original well-prepared
cast (except Corena for Colzani, OK by me) from a distance of about 12 feet (I was
the curtain "boy"-- I was 19)

rww
--
Robert W. White