Subject: Re: More on the bi-lingual Tosca at the Wienerstaatsoper
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:40:07 -0500

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:11:02 -0500, Koraljka Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Back in Europe, in the past, we didn't worry too much about languages. I was
>at an Aida in Zagreb once, in which the tenor sang in Italian, the soprano
>in Hungarian and everybody else in Serbo-Croatian. Visiting guests were not
>expected to learn their roles in Serbo-Croatian, after all!!

I treasure the memory of a TRUBADUR at the Estonian National Opera in the Soviet era in
which the chorus, Ferrando and Azucena sang in Estonian, the guest Di Luna ( Rene
Tucek) in Czech, the Manrico ( Henrikk Krumm, and pretty good) in an exact imitation of
Bjoerling''s Italian from the RCA recording, and the Leonora switched between Russian
and (for duetting with Mr. Krumm) Italian.

Was the last such "macaronic" Met performance the 1963 AIDA in which Jess Thomas,
making a last-minute substitution for Corelli, sang Radames ( except for "Celeste Aida")
in German?

Cheers- David Shengold