Subject: Chodosh or Der Dichter Spricht
From: Albert Innaurato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:01:34 -0500

One of the priceless members (In all senses) of this list, Seth
Chodosh wrote about a valuable contributor, Marco Schmid, who wondered
why Heppner was not booed:

> Not too surprising, is it ,Marco, that you'd bring that one up--as you were the chief Swine,
> distrupting that particular performance, at The MET...
>
> Booing an Artist, in the House, is an act of a pig----pure and simple.....
>
> I doubt very much that Mr. Heppner was smiling, "all the way to the Bank"---or anywhere
> else, on Friday---do ya think he did it on purpose??

I don't know what is more pathetic from this fool, a 60 year old using
tweener speak: "do ya think" indeed!! Or his assumption that art is a
palliative to be endured in a daze.

The theater (and I mean opera as well as all other types) was meant to
be a dangerous place. People rioted, drowned out the performance, tore
the place apart, or erupted, stunned by emotion. The Chodosh way is
the discreet yawn, the bored cough, the sidle out early. And, shhh! No
emotions please, save the comfort of mild applause.

Mr. Schmid is passionate, pays for his seats and expresses his
feelings. If singers are to be cheered to the echo (increasingly by
fools who love hunky frauds) than sometimes they must endure a
vocalized disapproval.

That Mr. Heppner did not withdraw from the performance, even though
his understudy was in the house, did not allow an announcement to be
made, though he was reportedly offered that option, and went on to
make those noises for people who had paid plenty in a tough time
economically as well as going through whatever commute they might have
had to endure, seems to me to justify loud expressions of disapproval.

He does not (I assume) need the money and being famous he is past the
'do or die' stage of a career; audiences understand singers are
sometimes in trouble for one reason or another. But unless there was
simply no one else present to do the role withdrawing would not only
have been the artistic choice but the fair one.

But Chodosh isn't interested in being fair, as witness his calling Mr.
Schmid some names -- projection I guess? As for the others who cry
foul when someone is fairly booed, I ask them never to cheer again.
But of course Chodosh is too dumb to hear when things go wrong. Maybe
he is the ignorant swine who should stay in his comfy sty and let
connoisseurs like Mr. Schmid do the opera going ?

AI