Subject: Re: Heppner cracking- again?
From: Dominic A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:40:50 -0500

While I, too, admire Heppner's voice, I have to say that the "performance"
tonight (if you can call it that) was one of the worst that I have ever heard
either in a broadcast or live at a performance.  Heppner's voice cracked
twenty-seven times tonight (and I didn't start counting at the first)---this
also does not include how it would ruin the entire phrase: I'm just referring to
the opening crack of whatever line he sang, not the proceeding crackage that
followed it.

Twenty-seven times?  Hello?  when he first burst out on stage and started
cracking in Act I, I was scared they'd have to stop the performance before
the second act to get the cover in.  To my astonishment and horror, HEPPNER
STAYED IN THE ENTIRE NIGHT.  And he didn't get any better, at all.  The final
duet with Guleghina was a nightmare.  At that point, it's almost disrespectful
to the audience to leave him on.  We're not talking about just an off night,
we're talking one of the worst performances of a role of that nature that the
Met has seen in a long time.  Every.phrase.cracked.  Utterly disrespectful to
put that forward and flip the middle finger to the audience by not putting
someone else in.  Hopefully Heppner steps out of the role if this is a physical
ailment---the man sounded like he needs some serious vocal work if it's not
the flu.