Subject: Re: Where was Peter Gelb last night?
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:31:48 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2008 11:17:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Musematrix writes:

I saw Pavarotti do the same thing at la Scala, and he didn't have the  sense
to quit the performance, and they booed him pretty badly, but he  continued to
sing anyway, cracking and singing pitches that were from another  planet.
They booed him mercilessly. He wasn't the only one booed.  Dessi got booed, Muti
got booed. The only one coming out smelling like a rose  was Ramey.
 There was tenor who sang so badly in Naples that the claque  gave him his
money back so they could boo him. Now I have heard a mafia story  about a tenor
whom the mafia helped in establishing his career. After his  career was
established they wanted him to sing at a small theater in  Italy, and he instead
took another contract that was in a very prestigious  situation, and after that
he never sang again. However I never heard of a  tenor getting whacked for
singing badly. I would be curious to know who.
 I have been at performances in Italy where the singers were booed  most
horrifically, but in most instances it was rival claques determined not  to let
the other performer survive, and in one case ended in a free for  all of
fisticuffs in the audience. There is also a lot of political booing at  la Scala on
opening night. Sometimes a conductor or administration will  be booed for
simply being a member of a particular political party.
 Now how is it that so many Regie are booed so badly and  they are allowed to
continue?

      John Rahbeck

In a message dated 11/23/2008 10:49:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,