Subject: Re: A Puccini Self-Spoiler
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:25:24 -0800

I stayed after the film "Puccini e la fanciulla" for the reception (and
Gomorra!) and found out a bit more about the film.
The director Paolo Benvenuti brought and played during the reception a
recently discovered and never seen before in the U.S. 8 min "home film" from
1915 featuring THE original Puccini including a small scene where he plays
the piano while smoking.(this 8 min clip is silent) There's a scene of
Puccini duck hunting on a boat, hanging out with the village women doing
laundry etc.

The "actor" who played Puccini in "Puccini e la fanciulla" Ricardo Moretti
in real life is a professor at a Conservatory in Parma and he did look a bit
like a cross between Puccini and Giancarlo Giannini. According to the
director, the actor/music professor used the scene from the 8 min clip,
playing it at a slow speed and reproduced the style of Puccini's fingering
and also the score that he was playing.

What little there is of the narrative in the film is strictly based on
documents and letters with some "poetic license"  mixed in - sort of like
the libretto for Dr.Atomic idea. There were based on several letters Puccini
wrote to Sybil Seligman, letters to Ricordi and letters to lawyers (to
settle with Fosca's husband).

The director mentioned that he wanted to make this film to clear Manfredi's
name and the myth because 3 other films on Puccini portrayed Doria Manfredi
as some sort of nymphomaniac who killed herself because Puccini was not
interested in her.

I was thinking, with a wife like Elvira no wonder Puccini wanted to kill off
most of the women in his works....

Kirsten Lee