Subject: Re: More on the bi-lingual Tosca at the Wienerstaatsoper
From: Koraljka Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:11:02 -0500

There is a Carmen, recorded at the Bolshoi in 1959, with Arkhipova and Mario
del Monaco. Everybody sings in Russian, except del Monaco, who
sings in Italian except in one place where he switches into French... (The
Toreador is Lisitsian, and the conductor, Melik-Pashayev.) I am not sure
whether the particular CD label exists any longer. It was something called
Revelation.

Back in Europe, in the past, we didn't worry too much about languages. I was
at an Aida in Zagreb once, in which the tenor sang in Italian, the soprano
in Hungarian and everybody else in Serbo-Croatian. Visiting guests were not
expected to learn their roles in Serbo-Croatian, after all!!

KL

>I made a boo boo when I said that Miss Goltz sang "hast Du Mich verstanden"
instead of Scarpia's "Hai ben compreso?"

>In that Tosca with Miss Goltz, Eugenio Fernandi, and Paul Schoeffler - she
did all of a sudden forget her Italian and sang that phrase in German, but
it was at another place in the second act and of course not Schoeffler's line.

>What made the audience laugh was the fact that she sang those particular
words in between her Italian.

>I do not know what Italian text she momentarily forgot.
>
>At another opera she had been crowned by Anton Dermota, then he turned
around to walk away and heard a noise.  He turned back and saw that the
crown had fallen to the floor, so he came back to retrieve it and re-crown
her - but he used too much energy and her wig went whoosh.