Subject: More on the bi-lingual Tosca at the Wienerstaatsoper
From: George Topinges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:23:42 -0500

Hello OPERA-Lers,

I made a boo boo when I said that Miss Goltz sang "hast Du Mich verstanden" instead of Scarpia's "Hai ben compreso?"

In that Tosca with Miss Goltz, Eugenio Fernandi, and Paul Schoeffler - she did all of a sudden forget her Italian and sang that phrase in German, but it was at another place in the second act and of course not Schoeffler's line.

What made the audience laugh was the fact that she sang those particular words in between her Italian.

I do not know what Italian text she momentarily forgot.

At another opera she had been crowned by Anton Dermota, then he turned around to walk away and heard a noise.  He turned back and saw that the crown had fallen to the floor, so he came back to retrieve it and re-crown her - but he used too much energy and her wig went whoosh.

The opera was Gluck's Alcestis.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

George Topinges