Subject: Marvelous soprano in Manhattan School of Music Program Today
From: David Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:40:37 EST

Today I attended a program at the Manhattan School of Music. I believe the
singers, who sang not with an orchestra but with an excellent pianist, were
postgraduate students. The afternoon was a fine showcase for their talents.

The singer I am flagging in the subject line is named Katrina Saporsantos.
She had a thrilling range, with lower notes that sounded uncannily like
Stephanie Blythe. (I Googled her once home and found that she has studied with
Blythe.)

She was featured in three of the scenes performed, or four if one counts the
two from The Ballad of Baby Doe. (And what a pleasure to see that! They did a
really polished version that made me wonder if it's on their schedule for
later this year -- and hope it is.)

She the program's only solo, in Masanet's Le Cid. She sounded great, as did
the tenor who later joined her, Clayton Hilley.

And the program began with a beautifully sung scene from Maria Stuarda, with
her in the title role.

The afternoon was very well balanced, lacking most noticeably only brand-new
and baroque music: The quartet from Fidelio was very well sung; a scene from
Ballo was sung with force and gusto.

I was a little disappointed with the Idomeneo. I was happy to hear a scene
from The Consul but it was a little unfocused. The Merry Widow scene was fine
and the one from Lucia was beautifully sung.

To my ear, there wasn't a single bad apple among the singers; and how rare is
that in a two-hour recital! It's pretty rare a professional performance.

Manhattan is becoming an expensive and difficult place to live. Oases like
this are what make staying here still worthwhile.

And watch for Ms. Saporsantos. I predict a shining career for this young
woman.

David
NYC

Check out smokin’ hot deals on laptops, desktops and more from
Dell.  Shop Deals
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1213345834x1200842686/aol?redir=http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;209513277;31396581;l)