Subject: Re: Have some respect ,was Where was Gelb ?
From: Aaron S <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:36:29 -0500

Hmm....well I neither heard the performance on Friday night nor was in the
house to witness it, but I would say that having performed in many works, I
think you misunderstand where many singers come from.  I would say that a
singer indeed is a servant to the audience (that pays the company that pays
him), and, perhaps more importantly, to the music itself.  This is a much
larger topic, and it may seem trite, but opera is not all about the
individual singer.  If I had been in a performance where I cracked many
times and literally could not put together a phrase, then I would conclude
that I was doing a disservice to the music.  And I would include that even
if the audience had no problems with it.  I don't find anything particularly
heroic about someone attempting something new, not doing a good job, but
then pursuing it anyway.  It takes a big singer to realize they cannot
continue a performance and to respect the music enough to let someone else
do it instead.  If you can't do something, then you simply cannot do it.
It's happened to me before, and it has happened to other people.  So you
step out.  Again, I don't know what the exact situation was with Mr.
Heppner, but it's not simply about the audience being respected or
disrespected, but also about the music and the art form itself.