Subject: Re: Where was Gelb last night
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:38:07 +0100

> Heppner's intention was to sing the rep that pays the most, regardless of
> the fact that he is a lyric tenor.

I will hate myself in the morning for even bothering to reply. But I am frankly puzzled that someone would make a comment like this on a board of presumed informed opera fans. I heard him this summer sing his first Seigfried with Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic and it was an extraordinary privilege to have been in the audience. The rave reviews are online in case anyone missed this news. Lyric tenor? The other thing is that Heppner has shown no particular interest in maximizing his profits. Anyone with minimal knowledge of his career will know this. But lack of knowledge has never stopped postings here before and will not in the future.

Frank Cadenhead
Paris