Subject: Re: Where was Peter Gelb last night?
From: Premiere Opera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:59:09 -0500

I agree with Jeffrey. I was in the audience on Friday night, and it was
terrible to hear any artist in such vocal distress.

BUT- in between the moments of distress there was some fine singing, where
nothing went wrong. It seemed sort of on again and off again. My feeling is
that both Heppner and the Met hoped that the good moments would last, and
that is why he continued and that is why no announcement was made. BTW,
announcements are almost always made or not made by the decision of the
singer involved. Many singers had announcements made for security cushions,
IMO, and nothing was wrong and nothing went wrong. So I am quite sure it was
Heppner who decided to ride out the storm with no announcements. Believe me,
if he had wished for an announcement to be made, it would have been made.

The kind of announcements that I personally hated and hate is one that says,
"Mr. or Ms. so and so is suffering from a cold tonight, but so as not to
disappoint you, has graciously consented to go on, and begs your
indulgence." I am almost always tempted to yell back, "disappoint us,
please." If the singer really is not at his best he or she (it was usually a
"he") should not ask us to indulge him for the prices we are paying.

I think Heppner was suffering from some kind of cold or allergy that came on
suddenly, since I learned that his dress rehearsal was excellent. But, of
course, audience members of an expensive opening performance don't much care
how the dress rehearsal went.

Best
Ed

--