Subject: Re: Where was Peter Gelb last night?
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:29:19 +0000

I wonder if anyone thought to get up out of their seat, complain to the house manager on duty (there always is one) and ask for a refund? At least, the evening could have been partially salvaged with a drink or dessert!

The opera house is not a prison. We are free to leave. We CAN ask for a refund. The doors DO open outward allowing easy exit. Even though I've never asked for a refund, I've left PLENTY of subpar perfs at the FIRST available opportunity (I find staying is more frustrating than just about anything) - most recently what was called "Norma" last Dec at the Met. I highly recommend it rather than heaping misery upon misery...you sorta feel like you're playing hooky!

This is still America...the only things we really HAVE to endure are IRS audits and the line at the DMV! Opera is not even in the top 100,000...