Subject: Friday night was nothing new for the Met
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 06:31:19 EST

I was there Friday night, wincing with everyone  else.

And it brought back memories of two such evenings, both  involving Hildegard
Behrens and the Met "Management."

The opening night of the new produciton of Elektra : Behrens  had been sick,
the cover (Daner) sang the dress yet "Management": allowed HB to  go on
opening night, she was awful, and Daner sang all the subsequent  performances. (3/92)

Then in 1997 at a Walkuere, with her cover, Schnaut, sitting  in a box,
Behrens trashed the second act. The intermission was very long, we all  expected
someone else, but it was not to be : she was allowed back on for Act  III. I
remember writing a letter to Levine asking if the inmates were running  the
asylum as he was the conductor and Music Directior during this time......to  no
avail......

Unless there was someone there for the conversation, someone  who can look
into an artist's head, know how Management weighs such  evenings....we are all
obviously speculating....but the Met has a track record  of allowing disasters
to go ahead, both as an evening and for entire productions  : anyone remember
the Shicoff Trovatore???

Mike