Subject: Where was Gelb
From: Roberta Prada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Nov 2008 05:48:00 -0500

In the old days people threw things and booed. And performers were a lot
better. I do not mean to suggest that booing does the trick, but I think it
is Ok for people to get exercised about this. Anybody who was not there
would not know, I suppose, that this was not merely an "off night" for
Heppner. This was like watching a gymnast finish a meet with a broken ankle.

Somebody should have benched the guy. He was hurting himself. People will
soldier on in survival mode sometimes, but they are doing themselves harm,
and this sounded like serious damage happening. If not Gelb, then Levine, if
not either then whoever was in their stead.

 Some of the old Italians opined that if our audiences were more forthright
with their opinions, less mediocrity would be foisted on them.

I still want to know who the singers were of Spades in the golden era. I am
betting they were lyric voices. If the part was right for Freni, why
Guleghina? If a Lemishev sang the tenor, then why a Wagnerian?

RP