Subject: Re: Where was Peter Gelb last night?
From: LT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:16:21 -0500

I believe someone in this group put it most accurately:

"One of the worst things about opera -is its audiences."

LT

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 18:18:58 -0500, Paul Ricchi
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Somewhere in this thread a lister referred to the distressed?
Heppner's performance as offensive and unprofessional??
Why? Did he not know the role? Did he not give effort? What
did he do to deserve this abuse?
>?
>One of the things I find offensive about some of my fellow
opera enthuisiasts is that they demonize an artist who gives a
sub-par performance due to vocal problems. (It proves?the
adage: When giants stumble, midgets laugh)

>Blame the Met for not sending in a cover, do not blame
Heppner for soldiering on.

respect for a performer who was in distress. Who knows what
the story was. Perhaps the cover was ill and Mr. Heppner
soldiered on the best that he could under the situation.?
>?
>And do you really think a tenor having a bad night warrants
comparison with the attack on Pearl Harbor where thousands
were killed??
>?
>> "A member of the audience in?
>> Grand Tier was even heard in loud voice mocking the
doomed tenor?
>> mid-performance.?
>>?
>> The MET showed no respect for the audience last night
and, in MET history,?