Subject: Where were Heppner's and the Met's Better Judgment Last Night?
From: Gene Lavergne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:13:23 -0600

I was listening on Sirius XM.

This was not Heppner's usual crack here and there. He cracked and
crumbled and could not find his vocal footing through entire phrases and
sections of the music. Before the first intermission, the voice became
dark and hoarse and crumbled at every phrase. Then there was a sudden
change and the voice got brighter and clearer. I was sure they were
going to say that he had been replaced mid-act.

I was astonished he went on for the rest of the night. I realize it was
opening night and it would be the second opening night he canceled on.
(Remember the Tristan last year?) I don't know the forces (monetary and
career) operating in the decisions there.

But with a cover sitting in the building, and the absolute worst vocal
catastrophe I have heard in the 20+ years I've been listening to
broadcasts (in terms of physical breakdown and not poor artistic
judgment or lack of skill and ability), it took *BOTH* Heppner and the
Met to to make that mistake. If either had decided to pull the plug and
use the cover, the other would not have had a choice.

I can't blame either, singularly. It took the combination of two gross
errors in judgment for last night's Queen of Spades disaster to happen.
I am not sure which error disappoints me more.

But today's HD of Damnation de Faust surely made up for it!

Gene