Subject: Re: What do you folks think of this?
From: Lindoro Almaviva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:21:52 -0800

I disagree. I think that sometimes it is a nice thing when the 3rd wall is broken. As a matter of fact, there are famous moments in many romantic and earlier operas where the 3rd )4th, whichever) wall is meant to be broken:

Ilia's recit at the beginning of Idomeneo. She was expected to address the audience to bring them in the drama.

Ottavio's Dalla sua pace. I think it is best when the Ottavio walks the edge of the wall. I kind of did when I sang Ottavio 10 years ago and got some very nice comments. Audience members told me that they felt brought in to Ottavio's dilema.

Norina's aria can be another one, nothing is stopping Norina from explaining the audience who she is and what is she about. I think it is perfectly acceptable; same with Rosina during Una voce poco fa and with Marcelina the very few times she is allowed to sing her aria.

I flat out broke the wall when I did Arnalta in a concept production many moons ago. The stage director gave me free reign on the staging of Arnalta's last aria (oggi, Oggi sara Poppea) and since it was a concept in which I was playing a drag queen, I asked for the 2 best looking guys in the cast and during a silence towards the end of the scene I asked the musical director to wistle at me and stuff a dollar in my bra. The audience ate it all up and I got some of the best reviews I have ever received, and some very nice applause at the end.

I think that breaking the wall is something that has to be done is spare and when the time is right. I would not like it if a Tosca broke it during Vissi darte, or in almost any Wagner drama; but in a comedy? That is another baby alltogether and the rules need to change.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a great evening all,
Lindoro

Lindoro Almaviva

Primo Tenore Assolutissimo

"The vocal life of a soprano has four stages:

  1. Bel canto, 2. Can belto, 3.Can't belto, 4. Can't canto..."

Madame VeraGalupe-Borzkh