Subject: Re: Please Help - Opera Recordings
From: Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:37:16 -0800

John Austin Davies wrote:
> My father, John Davies, is an opera singer who appeared fairly regularly with
> San Francisco Opera and the Opera Theater of St. Louis in the the 70's and
> 80s. He's since appeared with dozens of other companies (including the Met)
> but I mention these few companies spacifically because I know radio
> broadcasts ere made of all his performances in these cities.

I have tried repeatedly to reply to this query when I received it
privately. For whatever reason, it seems not to have gotten through so I
shall expend a post to the list in the hope that John can find an
account that will *receive* e-mail.

John Davies appears to have had an extensive career in comprimario
roles. That is the conclusion from reviewing the information available,
including the one role he sang at the Met - the novice's friend in Billy
Budd.

There are 9 recordings in CLOR in which John Davies appears
1 CILEA FRANCESCO - ADRIANA LECOUVREUR-San Francisco Opera - Gavazzeni
Gianandrea 1977(LI)*
2 GOUNOD CHARLES - FAUST-San Francisco Opera - Périsson Jean 1977(LI)*
3 JANÁCEK LEOS - MAKROPULOS AFFAIR (THE)-San Francisco Opera - Dohnányi
Christoph von 1976(LI)*
4 MASSENET JULES - WERTHER-San Francisco Opera - Shapirra Elyakum 1975(LI)*
5 MENOTTI GIAN CARLO - CONSUL (THE)-Camerata New York Orchestra - Revzen
Joel 1998(STU)*
6 MONTEVERDI CLAUDIO - INCORONAZIONE DI POPPEA (L')-San Francisco Opera
- Leppard Raymond 1975(LI)*
7 STRAUSS RICHARD - ARIADNE AUF NAXOS-San Francisco Opera - Ferencsik
János 1977(LI)*
8 VERDI GIUSEPPE - BALLO IN MASCHERA (UN)-San Francisco Opera - Adler
Kurt Herbert 1977(LI)*
9 VERDI GIUSEPPE - TROVATORE (IL)-San Francisco Opera - Bonynge Richard
1975(LI)*

In each of those which I have, his role is small and such that an
excerpt is unlikely to satisfy.

Mike
--
http://www.mrichter.com/