Subject: Re: A pleasant Faust experience!
From: Matt Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:56:03 EST

Marcello definitely impressed today...I had been worried that his  voice
would get overtaxed by singing so darn much, and I thought he had  shown some
signs of fatigue during his Ernani last season.  His  excellent Pinkerton last
week though calmed my fears, and he delivered today as  Faust. Paid attention to
dynamics and handled the tessitura as good as could be  expected. Glad they
brought Donald Palumbo out with the  chorus...he really has done a fine job with
them. Agreed with my dad's take  on the piece itself. Storywise, I don't like
this as much as Gounod or Boito's  version of the legend, but the score truly
is beautiful...with Part 4 being the  highlight for me from beginning to end.
Bravo to the Met for going outside  the box on this one.

Matt C.

In a message dated 11/22/2008 7:50:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On Nov  22, 2008, at 7:18 PM, James A. Van Sant wrote:

>       Contrary to Opera-L sentiment of late, I found Marcello
>  Giordani a splended high-tenor
>  singer today; he's beefing up to  a rather unaesthetic degree and
> he certainly is no  actor,
> but he sings French well and his vocal quality all afternoon  was
> agreeable. Did I hear him
> touch high Db?  We  are not used to so much  'squillo' in French
> rep, and he  certainly puts
> little restraint on that brightly piercing  top  sound -- but it
> zings thru the house.

I was also  impressed with his singing today.  Gone was the heavy,
course  forcing which has characterized some of his singing of late.
He sang softly, fluidly and with a controlled legato line and even
made an attempt at voix mixte in piano passages above the  staff.
That was indeed a C# that you you heard (twice) and was  not just
touched but sung fully.  For me, he was