Subject: Re: What do you folks think of this?
From: hermine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:19:21 -0800

>Thank you.
>She does it AGAIN;  toward the end of her duet with Maletesta (act  one), she
>throws him her umbrella (they are outside), and he catches it quite
>deftly--at which point, she nods approvingly to the audience.
>NO   NO  NO!!!!!   Stay in character  ALWAYS.

Does anyone remember the spectacular film BARRY LYNDON?  (KUBRICK).
there is a wonderful scene in which one of Barry's lovers, it is
seemingly revealed is actually his mother. The actress turns towards
the camera, (US!) and winks and then goes back into the film.

I think this is called breaking the fourth wall.

if it works it is wonderful and if it does not, it is beneath puke. I
saw briefly, very briefly but much too long, a bit of an execrable
version of "The Mikado" on telly.... which was crammed, stuffed,
packed, and filled with nudges and winks to the audience and horrible
really terrible singing.  so that did not work.

CUTENESS is seldom OK in art.

hermine
this is about as stuffy as I get about art matters