Subject: Re: A question about composers
From: Dominic A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:01:06 -0500

>The audience for opera worldwide, irrespective of age or location, is
predominantly women.

What kind of data do you have for this?  It's news to me, that's for sure.  I've
been to houses all over the world and I would say that my experience is that
operagoers are mostly men.  At the very least, it's equal.  I've never been to
a performance, a lecture, or a concert where I looked around and thought to
myself "there are predominantly women here."

I think you should provide some sort of hard data to corroborate such a
statement.  If you're just wondering why operas of women composers aren't
performed often, then that is definitely a worthy question to study.  But I'm
not sure the assertion that precedes it is true.

Would love for you to prove me wrong..

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

OPERA-L official website:
Modify your settings: