Subject: Re: More on the bi-lingual Tosca at the Wienerstaatsoper
From: Jerry Braunstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:40:16 -0500

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:11:02 -0500, Koraljka Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>There is a Carmen, recorded at the Bolshoi in 1959, with Arkhipova and Mario
>del Monaco. Everybody sings in Russian, except del Monaco, who
>sings in Italian except in one place where he switches into French... (The
>Toreador is Lisitsian, and the conductor, Melik-Pashayev.) I am not sure
>whether the particular CD label exists any longer. It was something called
>Revelation.

I have a video of that. I believe it is on the Bel Canto label. Don't know
if it is still available.
i attended several performances at the Bolshoi in the 1970's of italian
operas, Rigoletto, Traviata, in which the principal singers, some imported
from Western Europe sang in italian while the chorus and other singers sang
in Russian. Who cares? It was still OPERA.

Jerry Braunstein