Subject: Ryan Smith
From: Matt Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:25:39 EST

Not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but I was very sad to learn
yesterday of the passing of Ryan Smith. The young tenor was only 31 years old  and
had apparently been battling cancer. He had made his Met debut just last
season as Don Riccardo in Ernani, was a Met Council Auditions winner, and I had
seen him back in February in Carlisle Floyd's Cold Sassy Tree in Atlanta. I
learned of his passing from an insert that was tucked into the programs they
handed out at last night's performance of La Cenerentola at the Met. Mr. Smith
was a talented up and comer, and it is certainly a tragedy when anyone is
taking  from life at such a young age. Here is a heartwarming obituary written up
 in the Chicago Tribune.

Matt C.

_http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-hed-smith-17-nov17,0,6250095.sto
ry_