Subject: Re: Where was Peter Gelb last night?
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:45:48 +0000

Well, let's not bother with pesky things like facts before we act as judge, jury and executioner...

I do not for a minute believe that Mr. Gelb (or much more likely, the Director of Artistic Administration) would intentionally put a singer onstage to do themselves such harm....unless a) the singer assured them he could handle it and b) there was just no viable cover available.

Do understand that this is no Boheme or Rigoletto with at least 75 tenors in the Met's zip code who could step in and get through it. Mr. Heppner or cancellation may have been the only options.

I did not hear the broadcast, fortunately. But had I been listening, I would have turned it off - I've always been able to turn away from a car wreck. There are some unfortunate events that shouldn't be witnessed.

While last night was not the Met's finest hour (and let's face it, any business based upon mere mortals is really gonna screw up once every blue moon!), today's HD transmission showed the Company off to its greatest advantage. Gorgeous music beautifully performed...a stunning production - insert "not run of the mill" if you don't like "stunning." Maestro Levine may certainly call it a masterpiece if he wants...when you've conducted at the Met for 30+ years, you may challenge him on that point of opinion!

The chorus was terrific and the men even went a la Nathan Gunn (shirtless) in the final scene.
Miss Graham and Mr. Relyea were 120 percent on. Really fine performances. Mr. Giordani had some tessitura issues early on - who wouldn't? - but just sounded very Italian to my ears...which is usually a wonderful, welcome thing. Big-voiced French tenors seem to have gone the way of the Edsel and the automat. He performed admirably.

Many commented in the audience here at how powerful the performance was. Kind of the whole point, isn't it?
Cheers, John