Subject: Amy Johnson
From: patrick byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:47:15 -0500

Does anyone have any current information on soprano Amy Johnson?
Trovatore is one of my favorite operas, and I have been in posession of a dvd
of one of her perfomances in this work, and am totally smitten with her in the
role.

She posesses a shimmering fast vibrato, a definite chest, and a fine command
of all the musical details in this most demanding of roles.

In additon she is extremely lovely and a very accomplished actress. There are
so few sopanos who can do this role justice that it seems a shame that there
is not more of this fine singer on stage.

Her Count in this production is the equally talented Nicholas Loren, a baritone
with an enormous dark voice and a thorough command of belcanto, not to
mention a totally commanding persona.

We could use a little more of this, and a lot less of the mediocrity that prevails
in so many houses, big and small alike, and even less of these
deranged "directors" who seem to think that the music is secondary and that
they, in all their mental illness, are "stars".

Patrick Byrne