Subject: Re: Gramophone's ranking of the top 20 orchestras
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Nov 2008 06:35:59 -0800

Both Jon and Neville make good points.  Ultimately, all such lists are
simple minded - these things can't be quantified and qualified in this
manner.  But "Grammophone" has shot itself twice recently.  This list is
extremely favorable to European orchestras and (most likely) outdated
evaluations of American ones.  Last month their list of the "best"
recordings of the Immolation Scene omitted Nilsson and Hunter in
preference for more recent, but far less accomplished artists.

Such wild shots in the dark do not speak well of the current leadership of
a normally well respected magazine.

Jim Bodge

At 07:17 AM 11/26/2008 -0500, Jon Alan Conrad wrote:
>I read it on a regular basis -- have subscribed for years and am
>delighted every time a new issue arrives -- and I understood "silly"
>immediately. It's just that any such list (20 best orchestras, 10 top
>tenors, 5 greatest operas) are always silly self-indulgences.

>...It's great fun, but not much more than that.
>
>Jon Alan Conrad

You really only need two things: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If something is
stuck and it shouldn't be, use WD-40. If it's moving and it shouldn't, use
Duct Tape.

James Bodge  [log in to unmask]