Subject: 20 greatest orchestras
From: Robert White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:15:33 -0500

All the comments so far seem quite appropriate (despite Eschenbach's tenure in
Philadelphia, it IS quite a sound).  But since I often rail about the excessive UK
bias in music journalism, is the LSO the only British orchestra to make the top 20?
Some very major conductors have held slots with the Philharmonia, the London Phil.,
etc. Maybe some of our British members can comment on the shifts in British
orchestral fortunes.  The general standard of orchestral playing around the world
remains quite high, even if the indivdual conductorial contributions often seem more
suspect.  In terms of opera, we are seeing ever more proficient performance of
operatic scores for their orchestral component  even when the vocalism (esp. of the
big 19th century works) often seems wanting.  For baroque and contemporary  works,
the balance in execution between the vocal and orchestral are in better balance.
It's a silly survey as Jon Conrad says, but it does set one to thinking, which is a
good thing for any journalistic piece.

rww

--
Robert W. White