Subject: Re: Gramophone's ranking of the top 20 orchestras
From: Stephen Cutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:47:04 -0500

I think it's a silly list because, unless a group of critics are sent around
the world to hear all the orchestras, I don't understand how it's possible
for them to rank them. Gramophone says it's based on commercial
recordings and live concerts. Comparing records is easy, but tells very
little about how an orchestra plays in real life. So if the Korean critic
says his local orchestra is really jolly good, how does that help anyone
to compile a global list?

Even if you base it on live broadcasts, there are precious few
opportunities to hear many of the orchestras this way, especially the
American ones other than the Met.

Gramophone was indeed an eminent and respectable publication. Not so
any longer.

Stephen Cutler
Dorking, England