Subject: Re: Gramophone's ranking of the top 20 orchestras
From: Neville Sumpter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:26:27 -0000

I would hardly call the list "Silly" ! The Gramophone is a most eminent
publication and the best of its kind in the world. Perhaps if you read it on
a regular basis you would not use the word "Silly" ??
The list of the 20 World's Top Orchestras given is as follows:
1.  Royal Concertgebouw
2.  Berlin Philharmonic
3.  Vienna Philharmonic
4.  London Symphony Orchestra
5.  Chicago Symphony Orchestra
6.  Baverian Radio Symphony Orchestra
7.  Cleveland Orchestra
8.  Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchetra
9.  Budapest Festival Orchestra
10. Dresden Staatskapelle
11. Boston Symphony Orchestra
12. New York Philharmonic Orchestra
13. San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
14. Marinsky Theatre Orchestra
15. Russian National Orchestra
16. St Petersburg Philharmonic
17. Leipzig Gewandhaus
18. Metropolitan Opera House Orchestra
19. Salto Kinen Orchestra
20. Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

It seems our other orchestras i.e. London Phiharmonic, Philharmonia and
Royal Philharmonic did not get a look in?
Neville in England