Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS!!
From: bob dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:06:20 +0100

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate Saint Cecilia's Day, patron saint of music, and the following birthdays:

Sumi Jo (1962)
Joaquin Rodrigo (1901-1999)
Benjamin Britten (1913-1976)

Also, the following works premiered on this date:

Ravel's "Bolero" (1928)
Mascagni's "Iris" (1898)
Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite" (1931)
Handel's "Ode to Saint Cecilia" (1739)

Let us remember Christine Nilsson (1843-1921) and Arthur Sullivan (1877-1939) who passed away on this date.

The quote for today is: "At the premier of Bolero a woman in the audience called out, 'He's mad!' Ravel replied, smiling, that she had understood the piece."  Author unknown.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY and Saint Cecilia's Day to our birthday artists for today and all forum members who share their birthday and this day with them.

ARTISTS' EVENTS salutes these artists for their enduring contributions to the world of classical music.

In memory of primo tenore Mario Lanza (31 January 1921-7 October 1959).

Pace e Gioia,

Bob Dilley
GAUDEAMUS IGITUR