Subject: Immolation Scene
From: Greg Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:59:05 -0800

Bergitas here.

I just heard and watched the best Immolation Scene I
have ever experienced....  and I'm delighted to say
that it featured one of my favorite singers, Dame
Gwyneth Jones.  This was included in a Gwyneth Jones
Potpourri DVD I purchased and it culminates in her
blazing performance of the Immolation Scene at the
1991 Final Proms concert.  She is in spectacular
voice, singing with searing intensity and powerful
emotional depth- yet with vocal matters in full
control. I sat there transfixed, feeling as though I
was hearing the definitive performance of this amazing
scene.... and so happy for her to be in such splendid
form on such an important occasion.   And then if that
wasn't enough, the encore right after it is a harp-
accompanied "Last Rose of Summer."  It might as well
be in Bulgarian, thanks to the soprano's poor diction,
but she sings it very nicely.  I mean, she's no
Victoria de los Angeles - but for someone to sing such
a thundering Immolation Scene and then to turn around
and sing this so nicely is quite a tour de force. And
if you ever get to see this footage,  be sure to
notice how incredibly silent the audience is as the
aria is being sung.  I even noticed that during the
quiet moments of the Immolation Scene... you could
hear a pin drop in Royal Albert Hall... scarcely even
a cough.  (The ultimate compliment, in many ways.)

Anyway, on a LONG list of things for which I am
thankful,  I am thankful indeed to have this on my DVD
shelf.

Bergitas
Greg Berg
Racine, WI