Subject: Re: The Queen of Spades
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:04:26 +0000

I went to this evenings performance with great trepidation after reading some of the reviews on this list. The production is a joy. The orchestra under Ozawa brought out all the wonderful textures of the Tchaikovsky score. It was a pleasure to sit back and let the music take over.Hepner was out of this world. No cracks no mistakes just a wonderful sound and good acting. Glad that he is feeling better.Maria Guleghina sang beautifully and I don't think she was too loud. She has a strong voice which is very appropriate for a house the size of the Met. Felicity Palmer was amazing as the countess. The lady can sing and act. What a joy to behold. One singer that stood out was Ekaterina Semenchuk(Pauline/Daphnis). Glad I missed the first perfomance of this. From what I saw and heard tonight they got there act together.Andrew PenakloBasking Ridge, NJ